Leading up to the royal wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, there was one big question on everyone’s minds: Who would be designing Markle’s dress? The name was kept under lock and key until the now Duchess of Sussex stepped out of the burgundy Rolls Royce to marry her prince.
And in that moment, Clare Waight Keller’s name went down in history.
Here are five things to know about the designer:
1. Waight Keller is the first female artistic director of Givenchy.
The designer was appointed artistic director of the fashion house in 2017 after Ricardo Tisci stepped down.
2. In 2013, she was awarded Fashion Designer of the year at Glamour UK Women of the Year awards.
Waight Keller was the artistic director for Chloé at the time. Before that, she worked at Gucci, Calvin Klein, Ralph Lauren, and Pringle of Scotland
3. She said working with the Duchess of Sussex was a “dream.”
“She’s a strong woman. She knows what she wants, and it was really an absolute joy working with her,” Waight Keller said about Markle.
4. Waight Keller didn’t even tell her husband the she was designing the royal wedding dress.
“I think that was part of the joy of the day was that it was really at the last moment everybody knew,” Waight Keller said. “It’s truly a secret that Meghan and I shared.”
5. She has a fan in Prince Harry.
At the wedding luncheon, the Duke of Sussex beelined straight for Waight Keller: “He came straight up to me and he said, ‘Oh my God, thank you, she looks absolutely stunning,'”